Slot-Type Optocouplers (a.k.a. Photo Interruptor) work by housing an LED and light sensor pair inside the U-shaped bracket. The sensor detects anything that breaks the beam of light passing through the U-shaped bracket (hence the name Photo Interruptor).
These Optocouplers / Photo Interruptors are often used for:
- Object detection - such as end stops (e.g. 3D printers), door closure detectors (if magnets are unsuitable for the application).
- Speed measurement - using optical encoders (a disk with slits - sold separately).
We stock the following variants:
- 4-Pin Module - Digital and Analog Output.
- 3-Pin Module (Digital Only) - This model is used for the optical end-stop on Prusa and RepRap 3D printers. It uses a Vishay TCST2103.
- VISHAY TCST2103 - standalone component - for use on breadboards.